Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question

To: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 19:55:02 -0700
Hi Dave,

I have heard of some folks doing just as you suggest:  Drilling all the way
through the trailing arm and urethane bushing and fitting a zerk to grease
that mating surface between the urethane bush and inner sleeve. Some
urethane bushings come with recessess in the inner urethane hole to act as a
grease reservoir.  If I were you, though, I would just really slather the
lube in there and see how long it lasts.  One thing to consider:  From the
factory, the bolts through the brackets were oriented such that the inner
bolt head was closest to the center of the car.  Because of the bolt length,
you cannot subsequently remove the bolt, because it butts up against the
frame before it clears the bush and bracket.  Why the factory did that, who
knows (perhaps as a safety measure, to ensure that it cannot work itself
completely out), but I would fit the bolts so that the bolt heads are each
pointing to the center of the trailing arm.  That way, you can extract them
and drop the arm to remove and regrease the bushings without having to
disturb the trailing arm brackets.

Good luck with it, sounds like you are getting close to being on the road!

Chris