Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question

To: "Greg Perry" <rgperry@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4A Trailing Arm bushing Assembly Question
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:50:26 -0400
Yes the sleeve should be longer so that the bracket clamps the sleeve and
the bearing is then the interface between the OD of the sleeve and the ID of
the bushing. This is for the poly type bushings which do not flex as the
original rubber ones do. For the original rubber bushings the compliance is
the flex of the rubber element whereas the poly bushes create more of a
bearing surface and are designed to eliminate the flexing of rubber.

I have the poly bushes in my 4A and I wish I never changed them as they are
poorly made. They did not come from one of the big three. The sleeve is the
same length as the bushes and I really don't know if I am getting the
clamping that I should be getting. I have a new set on order from a reliable
source and will change them out this winter. No I will not reveal who I
bought them from but I will say that I'd always trust stuff from Richard
Good.

JVV