[TR] TR6 Brake noises

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR6 Brake noises
From: "Greg Gelhar" <ggelhar@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:15:10 -0500
I've just about had enough. The noises from the brakes on my 1973 TR6 are
driving me crazy. Most always on light application of the brake pedal  the
brakes squeal loudly. The front pads and rotors are recently new as well as the
rear shoes and drums. I used some blue Permatex brake anti squeal compound when
installing the front pads and there are shims between the brake caliper pistons
and pads. The rear shoes have not worn in to make 100% contact with the drums.

Can someone please explain to me why brakes squeal? I need to find a way to
quiet them down. I have adjusted my driving style using greater pedal pressure
than I would like so not to give other drivers a bad impression of the TR.
Braking performance is excellent but the noise is embarrassing.

Greg Gelhar
1973 TR6
1980 TR8
Osseous, MN