Re: [TR] TR6 Brake noises

To: ggelhar@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Brake noises
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:13:07 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2006 8:22:21 AM Central Standard Time,
ggelhar@earthlink.net writes:
> Can someone please explain to me why brakes squeal? I need to find a way to
> quiet them down. I have adjusted my driving style using greater pedal
> pressure than I would like so not to give other drivers a bad impression of
>the TR.
> Braking performance is excellent but the noise is embarrassing.

Brakes squeal because the static coefficient of friction is higher than the
dynamic coefficient.

Why do YOUR brakes squeal?  I dunno.  A couple of things to check are 1) are
the anti squeal shims installed the right way round?  2) Perhaps the brake
compound is prone to squealing.  There are pads (and shoes) of other materials
that are less prone to squeaking 3) I have heard that grinding a bevel on the
leading edge of the pads will help but I've never tried it.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org