[TR] Need help with seatbelt interlock and warning system

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Need help with seatbelt interlock and warning system
From: "Keith Ehrlich" <kehrlich@syntapharma.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:04:53 -0400
Listers-

So I have disassembled my 1974 model year TR6 dash and replaced the
ignition switch and lock assembly and while in there I also ran a jumper
from turn signal wires to the seatbelt warning light so I can better see
if the signals are left on. I disconnected the wires that had previously
gone to the seatbelt warning light and blanked them off.

In getting ready to reconnect everything I did a test of the functioning
of electrics. All works but for some reason the ignition interlock has
come back to life-it has never worked in the 11 years I have owned the
car and always figured the PO had done some kind of workaround. So when
I go to start car now, it buzzes when key fully turned and ignition
doesn't work. Except sometimes it doesn't do this and starts up
fine....There are no seat switches at the seats now-PO probably never
installed with new wiring harness. The wires to the switches at the
transmission are still there and hooked up. Don't know if the door
switches are connected to the interlock system.

Any ideas why this reawakening has happened and why random? Is there
some other thing happening to cause this, like the ground wires not all
hooked up or the interlock module suddenly gone haywire? I have read
through Dan Masters' book section on the interlock and there appears to
be a workaround to eliminate the interlock. I am no electrics expert by
any stretch so I am a little worried about this route before getting
advice.

TIA for any insight that can be offered. If someone has been through
this and can help in detail without overburdening the list, I'd be happy
to take it off line.

Keith

===     http://www.vtr.org