Re: [TR] TR6 suspension question

To: jrmcarthur@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 suspension question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:09:13 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/2006 9:26:29 AM Central Standard Time,
jrmcarthur@verizon.net writes:
> The front lower
> left arm bushing came out in shreds; rubber AS WELL AS the steel sleeve!
> :(  I guess that is ONE of the sources of my sloppy suspension ;)! When I
> looked at the bore that holds the bush, I noticed that a groove with the
> same circumference profile as the bolt has been wore into the "shoulder" of
> the arm. My question is: while I am concerned about the wear, does the arm
> NEED to be replaced? I am rebuilding the suspension with nylatron bushings
> and am wondering if, because of the description of how the bushing operates
> (that I have read here, thank you!), will this groove prove to be
> unimportant? I must stress that the arm is FAR from being worn through.

Considering what would happen if one failed I would take the extra step and
source some good, used arms and proceed from there.  Even if the arm is far
from being worn through it will not load up the bushing properly and point load
it potentially causing premature failure.  Then you'll be doing this all over
again.

Just my opinion.  I have no hard evidence either way.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org