RE: [TR] TR3 Brake caliper dust cover installation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Brake caliper dust cover installation
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:38:02 -0700
> I'm putting a new rebuild kit and pistons in my TR3A brake calipers. I put
> in the seal and pushed the piston in to place. Then I pushed the new dust
> cover over the piston and tried working it into the groove in the
> caliper. I
> could get it in most, but not all the way around. Gave up after
> 45 minutes.

It's been a long time (I love DOT 5 !), but aren't the TR3A calipers the
ones where the dust seal has to be fitted into the caliper bore before you
insert the piston ?  Then you stretch the smaller end of the seal over the
rounded end of the piston, and push the (lubricated) piston into the
caliper.  The small end of the seal will fall into the groove in the piston
when the piston is pushed home in the caliper.

Swaps are common, so be sure you have the seals for your calipers.  At some
point, the seals and calipers changed so the seal fits over a lip on the
caliper, rather than under.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org