Re: [TR] TR3 Brake caliper dust cover installation

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Brake caliper dust cover installation
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:57:00 -0700
Randall wrote:

>It's been a long time (I love DOT 5 !), but aren't the TR3A calipers the
>ones where the dust seal has to be fitted into the caliper bore before you
>insert the piston ?  Then you stretch the smaller end of the seal over the
>rounded end of the piston, and push the (lubricated) piston into the
>caliper...

And that is where a modest bit of air pressure may help.  If you get
this far (seal in groove, piston perched on top of seal)  and can't seem
to get the seal stretched around the piston then a little air pressure
into the caliper will inflate the seal and make it want to go around the
piston.  Of course the other side of the caliper needs to have a piston
in it for the caliper to hold air... a piston w/o a seal is enough to
plug the opposite side, use a c-clamp (g-clamp to some) to hold it back.

Very little air pressure is enough, a tool made out of a piece of 12 ga
solid copper wire with the tip rounded and bent into a hook may also
prove useful.

Geo H