RE: [TR] nyloc nuts

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] nyloc nuts
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:25:22 -0700
>         A ruling is requested from the collective wisdom. Should nyloc nuts
> be re-used?

In my opinion, NO.

> Can they be re-used,

I have done so.  I have also had them fall off afterwards.  In a pinch, they can
be recycled once by tapping the nylon end with a BFH and forcing more of the
nylon out into the hole.  Or there is always Loctite.

> and if so, how many times before they lose their locking
> ability?

Even one cycle on/off makes a big reduction in their holding power.  How long
until they lose it completely probably depends on a lot of things, but I have
some that can be turned by hand.

I now buy Nyloc nuts by the box from McMaster-Carr, and simply throw the old
ones away.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org