Re: [TR] nyloc nuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] nyloc nuts
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:53:50 +0100
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, at around 10:57:30 local time, james mc arthur
<jrmcarthur@verizon.net> wrote:
>    Good Day to the list!
>        A ruling is requested from the collective wisdom. Should nyloc nuts
>be re-used? I have no idea whether they have been recycled before. Can they
>be re-used, and if so, how many times before they lose their locking
>ability?

Dear Jim,

I was involved in extensive testing of nylon-reinforced self-locking
nuts ("Nyloc" is a trademark, and other manufacturers make equivalents)
with regard to their re-use whilst working for a Rolls-Royce group
company back in the 1980s.   The conclusion that we reached was that,
yes, you can sometimes get away with reusing these things, but on no
account should you try to do so, as, once tightened, the nylon insert is
permanently deformed, and a reused nyloc only works if you're lucky.
They're cheap, and they're critical fasteners.   Throw away the old ones
and fit new.

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org