RE: [TR] TR3A mystery bracket

To: "Art McEwen" <amcewen2@cogeco.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A mystery bracket
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:25:25 -0700
> However there's one bracket I can't place, there's no obvious place for
> it and nothing seems to be looser then it should be (ie in need of a
> support), can the experts here place it for me?  I'm guessing its from
> under the engine bay or under the dash..
>
> Photos can be viewed here:
> http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/akmce/my_photos

I believe that is from under the dash, it's a lateral support for the upper
end of the steering column.  As I recall, the end with the hole bolts
through the brace between the battery box and the dash, and the threaded end
goes through the clamps on the column.   This diagram shows the approximate
position (Item 12, although mirror-image for RHD)
http://www.revingtontr.com/CatalogueImages/TR2/AN.jpg

I don't recall offhand where the flat brace ties in, but I think it will be
obvious once you spot where the round one goes.

Many of the parts diagrams show a bolt through the two clamps around the
column, but it was superceded by this brace fairly early during the TR2.
ISTR the flat brace was added later, perhaps not until after the split
column.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org