RE: [TR] Houston update

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Houston update
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:01:55 -0700
> There is this red
> light on the gauge cluster that stays lit. (This must have something to do
> with the electricals, to early for Christmas decorations)

If the red light stays on with the engine running, that normally indicates a
problem with the generator.

> Ammeter reads to the
> positive side even after the park lights are pulled on but not much.

Where does it read with the engine stopped, and the park lights on ?

> The old (NOS) still does not react to
> heat (hot air gun). No kinks or bends or obvious breaks? Must not have
> anything in the tube.

Very possibly.  Inside the tube is supposed to be ether, which is very volatile
(not to mention flammable).  The tiniest leak will let it escape, rendering the
gauge non-functional.  While repairing it at home is not totally out of the
question ... I've read stories of being able to successfully replace the bulb
with a new one cut off another gauge, by packing it in dry ice to keep the ether
inside ... I wouldn't recommend trying it.

As Paul mentioned, you can buy a capillary type temp gauge at your local auto
parts store for not much money.  Looks a bit odd with the old gauges, IMO, but
fits perfectly.  Mine has a 270 sweep, which I do like.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org