Re: [TR] grommet for oil pressure gauge?

To: "Alexander Delis" <ols@bcdef.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] grommet for oil pressure gauge?
From: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:27:08 -0400
Hi Alex,
The fitting you are dealing with appears to be a compression fitting. Many
make a mistake with this type of fitting by not precompressing the
compression sleeve. What I mean by this, is the fitting needs to be tighten
enough so the sleeve will not spin on the metal tube. If it does you will
not get a proper seal, Unfortunately the best way to get the proper seal
would be to have the gauge out of the car with the line. This would allow
you to pretighten the fitting. In the car it requires a significant amount
of force in a cramped space. At this point it might be better to pull the
gauge and do it out of the dash but in the car. You have to make sure the
compression sleeve grips the pipe without spinning. Also make sure that the
end of the tube extends beyond the sleeve so it seats properly in the gauge.
Alex Manzo
72 TR6
59 TR3