[TR] setting my TR3's steering clock

To: "tr" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] setting my TR3's steering clock
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:11:10 -0400
ANOTHER GARGANTUM PROBLEM:

After doing things like boiling my steering box in a deep fryer for 45 minutes
and hoping that would free the 'seemingly welded' drop arm off the stuck
Rocker shaft I followed Doug Matthews advice and took it to a machine shop.

Surprisingly,the machinist did the some of the same steps I had done.  No, not
the boiling, but he also gave up when using a gear hub puller.  (if you
recall, I broke two of these)

HE turned to beating the bottom end of the rocker shaft with a sledge hammer!
Something I had done, but I was too timid with my shaking 12 lb. sledge (I
have a head injury and tremors). A dozen licks and WALLAH !  it came
appart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, NOW THAT I'VE GOT THE SEPERATED PIECES HOME, I SEE ANOTHER PROBLEM:  HOW
DOES IT GO BACK TOGATHER?????????????
I can put all the pieces back togather correctly (I think) but, the
machinist's pounding on the bottom of the shaft erased  IT'S ORIENTATION MARK
IN RELATION TO THE DROP ARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (these marks are clearly
seen in this photo below, however, I am missing the innermost mark.)
http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/images/R-StgBx34.jpg
Now, if this were a clock then the long hand(drop arm) would show 20 minutes
till ????????????? what?? (It's got to fall between 11:00 and 1:00, but I want

===     http://www.vtr.org