Re: [TR] TR4 Handbrake

To: "isharkey" <isharkey@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Handbrake
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:15:28 -0400
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 11:47 am, isharkey wrote:
> I am cleaning/inspecting/repairing/replacing anything that might prevent
> the "barn find" from stopping once I get it going. I am now into the
> handbrake and all is coming apart nicely. However, the cable compensator
> has got me puzzled.
>
> Firstly, should it swivel horizontally AND rotationally? The forward zerk
> fitting and grease seal suggests that it should, but it only moves
> horizontally. Also, it looks like you should be able to remove it, but I
> have to admit to being stumped as to how? Any light on this would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Ian
>
> 62 TR4
Ian,

Yes it rotates on both axis. It is removed by unscrewing the assembly from the
base welded to the rear axle.

On my project, the assembly would not turn.. So after some heat and pp blaster
it finally turned and I was able to remove, clean and reassemble with plenty
of grease. Now it moves in both directions with ease.

Good luck and use plenty of pp b. You dont want to break it off.

I am guessing the reason it wont turn is it was never greased eventhough there
are fittings in both screws.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org