Re: [TR] TR4 Handbrake

To: isharkey@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Handbrake
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:10:37 EDT
In a message dated 7/26/2006 10:55:11 AM Central Standard Time,
isharkey@comcast.net writes:
> I am cleaning/inspecting/repairing/replacing anything that might prevent
> the
> "barn find" from stopping once I get it going. I am now into the handbrake
> and all is coming apart nicely. However, the cable compensator has got me
> puzzled.
>
> Firstly, should it swivel horizontally AND rotationally? The forward zerk
> fitting and grease seal suggests that it should, but it only moves
> horizontally. Also, it looks like you should be able to remove it, but I
> have to admit to being stumped as to how? Any light on this would be
> appreciated.

Yes, it turns in both axes.  In fact disassembly involves unscrewing the two
bits from each other and from the axle.  If yours doesn't pivot then it is
frozen and freeing it up would be a good idea.  Try a bit of brute force and
penetrating oil.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org