Re: [TR] Convertible Top Installation

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Convertible Top Installation
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:46:04 -0700
Terry Smith wrote:

>...I don't know how to cut the fabric to receive the lift the dot hardware.

My method differs form Randall's, proving only there are many ways to
get to the same place.

On a vinyl top (don't know if this would work with Sunfast) I first
punch a 3/16" hole where I want the peg to come thru.  Then I align the
top piece of the female fastener with that hole -- the whole works
perched over a hunk of soft wood such as the end grain of a very short
2x4.  I then put a length of wood dowel against the fasterner and smack
it with a hammer... the prongs are sharp enough they poke right thru the
vinyl w/o any cutting.  This gives it the holes just where they need to
be and no bigger than necessary.

I fit the bottom half of the fastener, press firmly in its center (to
assure it is tight against the other half) and fold over the tabs one at
a time with the piece of wood dowel.

Geo