Re: [TR] Convertible Top Installation

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Convertible Top Installation
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:07:20 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Cc: <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:09 AM

>> I have the convertible top (Sun Fast) and all the hardware for
>> installation
>> today.  Then I realized, I don't know how to cut the fabric to receive
>> the
>> lift the dot hardware.
>
> I've always done mine by hand.  Find where you want the stud to go, then
> use the
> bottom plate on top of the vinyl as a pattern to cut 4 slits with a sharp
> X-acto
> knife.  Be sure to orient the plate the right way round.  A piece of
> cardboard
> is handy as backing material, as otherwise it's easy to stab your finger.
> Work
> the 4 prongs of the top plate through the holes you just made.  Then slide
> the
> bottom plate onto the tabs, and cut around the center hole.  Crimp the
> tabs
> tightly, and you're done with that one.  I use an old pair of "water pump"
> slip-joint pliers to crimp the tabs, as they have enough 'reach' and the
> notches
> help roll the tabs over.

I did my hood stick cover a little differently. After marking the spot the
receiver was to go, I used a hole punch to put a hole in it. I then used a
spare lift the dot stud through the hole to center the top part of the
receiver while locating the spots for the tiny slits to push the tabs
through. It worked well for me, of course, the material is probably a lot
thinner than Everlast.
Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org