Re: [TR] TR 6 Questions

To: ols@bcdef.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 6 Questions
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 17:51:53 EDT
In a message dated 8/6/2006 4:08:29 PM Central Standard Time, ols@bcdef.net
writes:
> 2. The Temp gauge and Fuel gauge have suddenly become VERY
> intermittent. When I start the car, the Fuel gauge goes to about one
> quarter then goes to zero.  I know the tank is full, I just filled it.
> Every once in a while, they work fine.
> I pulled the gauges, all connections are tight and I didn't see a
> common connection between the gauges. There is about 76 ohms
> resistance between the body of the gauge and ground when they are
> removed from the dash.

The power for both these gauges is provided by a voltage stabilizer that is
mounted on the back side of the speedometer.  I would start there.  Check the
connections on that.  The light green wire runs to the gauges and the dark
green wire comes fromt he fuse that also feeds power to the turn signals,
wipers
and a few other items.  If these are not also intermittent then you can
probably rule out the fuse.

As a test you can disconnect the voltage stabilizer and connect the two wires
together.  This will cause the gauges to read a bit high but if they become
reliable then a new stabilizer is probably the cure.

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6