RE: [TR] acceptable wheel movement? ASAP

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] acceptable wheel movement? ASAP
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:30:55 -0700
> I have done soo much work to my TR3 and just as I go to let it
> down off the
> jack stands and on to all fours I notice something peculiar about a front
> wheel (maybe both):  It seems the wheel moves too much at its
> very center.
>
> Thats right- as I look at the cotter pin in the stub axle, the washers et
> al have about 1/16th to1/8 movement up and down when I grab and
> wobble the
> tire from the side of the car.  .Maybe this is ok, I dont knowCould
> someone tell me?

Sounds pretty loose to me.  As I recall, the procedure given in the factory
workshop manual did leave the front wheel bearings pretty loose; and the
factory recommended adjustment got progressively tighter over the years.
Check in your later (at least 6th edition) "Practical Hints" book and see
what they have in there.   ISTR you're supposed to torque the center nut
down to 10 ftlb (which should be enough to compress the felt seal) while
turning the hub, and then back off only 1 flat (meaning 1/6 of a turn).  The
amount you back off can be slightly more to make the hole for the cotter pin
line up, but no more than 1.5 flat.  Again from memory, there are two holes
in the spindle (and of course 3 different slots in the nut), so there's no
need to go more than 1/2 flat to find a pair of holes that line up.

But check the book to be sure.

Of course it is possible that your stub axles are distorted or worn
undersize.  But even though this happened to me, I think it's a rare
occurrence.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org