RE: [TR] Dampeners

To: "jim hearn" <jimhearn1@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Dampeners
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:23:55 -0700
> I can't find the procedure to rejuvenate the dampeners with new fluid.

I'm not sure what you are asking here, Jim.  Clean around the fill plug,
remove the plug, fill to the level of the plug, reinsert plug.  I don't know
a torque value offhand, but it's not critical ... 10-15 ftlb should do fine.
I used an old gear oil bottle (with a spout on top) to fill mine.

> Mine are coated with a layer of oily dirt so they obviously leak.

That may mean it's time to have them overhauled.  Generally (not always) the
seal fails because the shaft is loose in it's bearings and banging around
against the seal.

> Also, it feels like the dampeners are not doing their job.

Being out of oil will cause that ...

>  Can any other oil
> (such as hydraulic jack oil) than what is sold for the job be used?

Motorcycle shock oil seems to work well, but I'm not sure what grade
(viscosity) the original oil was.  The 20 weight I used seemed to give more
damping.  Any motorcycle shop will have the lighter grades, try a shop
specializing in Harleys for 20 weight and heavier.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org