RE: [TR] O/D issues

To: <bamxn@triad.rr.com>
Subject: RE: [TR] O/D issues
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:21:51 -0700
> When I turn the ignition switch on, put it in 3rd or 4th gear, nothing
> happens. If I put in 2nd gear, the solenoid will actuate. Thinking it
> might be
> a bad switch on the gearbox cover, I switched them but get the same
> results.
> Any suggestions?

If you're certain you exchanged the switches, then the problem has to be either
the wires to the switches, switch adjustment, or something wrong with the shift
fork that presses upwards on the switch.  My money is on the wires, they lead a
hard life and can break internally due to the constant vibration.

My next step would be to put a voltmeter directly on the 3/4 switch terminals,
with the key on, OD switch on and gearbox in 4th.  If you find 12v on the switch
terminals, then either the switch is bad (in spite of your experiments) or the
plunger is not being pressed far enough. At that point, I would try taking out
all the shims under the switch and test again.  If there aren't any shims (or it
still doesn't work without them), it's time to tear the top cover down.
(Probably I would try a new switch first, just because I've seen old ones do odd
things and it's easier than tearing that cover apart.)

But I think it's more likely you will find little or no voltage across the
switch terminals, indicating something else is preventing current flow.  Move
outwards in small steps until you find the voltage, then replace the part you
just moved over.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org