RE: [TR] Re: Oil Types

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Oil Types
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:36:47 -0700
> After 2000 miles, I'll be playing it (debatably) "safe" to switch from
> Valvoline straight 30 weight to synthetic 20-50 racing oil under the
> assumption that the rings have set.
>
> That sound about the right time frame?  ...Or am I over-safe, and break in is
> really just the 500 miles?

The prohibition against using synthetic for break-in is only for the rings
seating.

It's real easy to tell if the rings have seated ... Is it blowing blue smoke
from the tailpipe ?  If not, the rings are sealing just fine and you can safely
switch to full synthetic.

However, IMO racing oil isn't a good idea, unless you are actually going racing.
Since it's changed much more often, Racing oil typically has lower detergency,
which doesn't seem like such a good idea for the street.  YMMV and all that.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org