RE: [TR] Clarifications: '59 TR3A TS 58667

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Clarifications: '59 TR3A TS 58667
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:21:05 -0700
> 1)  At the bottom of my OD tranny is a brass plug of some time that does not
> appear in the Moss diagrams

Interesting point.  Kelvin, are you listening ?  There were two different plugs
used, which are not interchangeable without other modifications.  The later plug
had the notches, the earlier plug has a raised hex section in the middle of it.
The Moss catalog appears to only show the earlier plug ???  The later plug is
far more common, being used from early TR3A (57 or 58) through the end of the
A-type in 72 or so.

> or the repair manuals I have.  It has several
> notches, so takes a special tool.  ISTR that someone here had advice how to
> make a tool, but I can't find it in archives.

You could buy one from :
http://www.britishtool.com/servtool.htm
or
http://www.armstrongtools.com/catalog/products.jsp?groupID=863

HF used to sell a tool that worked fairly well, but it appears to be
discontinued.

My previous tool was a length of iron bar with two bolts that engaged with the
slots.  Don't recall now, I may have had to grind down the bolts to fit the
slots.

Next time I need one, I'll probably cut notches into a large socket, similar to
the tool that British Tool sells.

>  Also, is there a seal under
> this plug worth replacing because it can leak oil?

Yes indeed, there is.  In addition, you should remove that plug when you change
the OD oil, as well as clean the magnets inside and inspect for swarf.  This is
a periodic maintenance item.  If the seal is leaking, inspect the plug for
flatness as they are frequently distorted from people using a hammer & drift on
the notches with too much enthusiasm.

> 3)  Looks pretty clear to me that I'll have to remove the rocker shaft in
> order to retorque the head.  Is there a trick I'm missing?

Removing the rocker shaft is easy, IMO the easiest way to do it.  4 nuts, 4
washers, lift it off.  You can leave the pushrods in place.  (If you do remove
them, be careful not to pull the lifters out of the bores.)  Afterwards you'll
want to reset the valve clearances, but you were going to do that anyway, right
?

> It is incredibly much more fun to drive than it was to grove in the
> gravel driveway covered in sweat and grease for 3 and a half years to restore.
> Amazing.

Isn't it ?

> See you in Stowe, VT in September!

Sorry, Stowe's a bit far for me.