RE: [TR] OT - Battery Charger Question

To: <emanteno@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] OT - Battery Charger Question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:31:02 -0700
> I charged the battery in my TR6 overnight, and when I checked it
> today, it was only at 12v. Thinking the charger wasn't charging, I
> hooked the charger's clips to a multimeter and got readings from zero
> v to 9 volts, depending on which setting I had the charger on (all
> settings are for 12 v batteries, but there are settings for
> conventional batteries, deep cycle batteries, and manual chargig). Is
> this a valid test of the charger's output? I looked inside the
> charger, and there isn't much in there. If the charger is bad, what
> typically goes wrong with them?

It would help if you would tell us more about the charger, Irv.  But if it's a
basic buzz box, like my old Schumacher, then I'd guess it's a bad (open) diode.
Mine came to me well used, with an open diode, and I repaired it with a diode
block from an old alternator core.  It's worked fine ever since.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org