Re: [TR] Herald Flags

To: smacsjunk@hotmail.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Herald Flags
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:36:52 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: smacsjunk@hotmail.com

   So we're at a club show recently, looking at a couple of the members
Heralds that display a badge made up of a pair of crossed flags. The
question of course arose as to the signifigance of the flags. The
gathered wisdom in our club (which seldom fails to resolve an issue)
couldn't come up with an explanation, so I'm turning to the collective
wisdom of THE LIST. The flags are, I belive, the signal flags for the
letters Victor Sierra (also, and hopefully of no signifigance signals
for: I am reversing engines, I need assistance).

  I vaguely recall this being discussed before, but my feeble search
capabilities didn't find it.

==AM==
Nautically, you are correct. I've also seen those two flags described,
respectively, as "I am going full speed astern" and "I require
assistance (but not of an emergency nature).

More appropriate to the car badges, though, the "S" flag (blue square
on white background) is for Standard[-Triumph], whil the "V" (red
diagonal cross on white background) is for Vignale, the Italian studio
for whom Giovanni Michelotti worked before ultimately branching out on
his own while doing so much work with Standard-Triumph.

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>
and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

===     http://www.vtr.org