[TR] TR4A clutch not clutching

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4A clutch not clutching
From: "Francis Precht" <FPrecht@frostburg.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:38:02 -0400
Question for those more knowledgeable than I on things Triumph.
'65 TR4A - ran great before I went on vacation.  When I returned after a
month, and wanted to go for a 're-aquaintance' drive, the clutch refused to
allow me to shift into any gear.

Symptoms:
clutch not depressed - starts fine
in gear - bucks and stalls (like any standard shift car)
in gear with clutch depressed - acts like car is in gear with no clutch
applied (bucks & stalls)

Sounded like the clutch needed bleeding.  So I did ---- 4 times !!!
I get bubbles in the fluid in the jar, pump till the bubbles stop, and
re-tighten the bleeder screw with the pedal depressed.
Result ---- same symptoms as before.
Re-bleed -----more bubbles.  Repeat.  Repeat.   Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh!
Lots of dark crud in the fluid in the jar, also indicates to me it was about
time the fluid was changed.

I have ordered the rebuilt kits for the slave and master cylinder as well as a
new hose (pipe to slave cylinder) and the copper washers that go on the
pipe/hose adapter, but figured I'd ask for brilliant insight or advice while I
wait for shipping of such.  What would the symptome be if the clutch disk was
'stuck' to the flywheel, and would I go about doing the unstick (short of
doing a whole clutch replace ???)

I can see NO fluid leakage anywhere, which I would have expected if there was
a leak somewhere.  Not even inside the dust caps.

I also get about 1.5" travel on the mastercylinder pushrod (manual says 1.38")
but only about 1/2" travel on the slave cylinder pushrod - how far should the
slave cylinder travel ????

I guess I should have taken the TR with me, but it wouldn't fit in the
carrry-on !! (though it would have been alot more fun to drive than the Chevy
Malibu rental)

Many thanks for any help or insight you all may provide.
Bud P.  (clutchless, and probably a little clueless as well!)

===     http://www.vtr.org