RE: [TR] Suspension and steering work to be done

To: "jim hearn" <jimhearn1@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Suspension and steering work to be done
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:51:56 -0700
> For the hard
> bumps, I understand that the next likely candidate is the springs

The question here is whether you are bottoming out the rear suspension or not.
One way to tell is to take some child's modeling clay (aka PlayDoh) and put it
on the suspension stops, then go for a ride.  If the clay gets mashed, then
you've been bottoming out the suspension.  If it is bottoming out, then stronger
springs will help.  If not, they will make it worse.

BTW, even full shocks can be worn out.

> although my brother suggested that some tires on their own can give a
> very hard ride.

Very true, but they have more effect on small bumps than on big ones.  If it
seems like you can feel every little pebble in the road, that's likely tires.

> If I
> only need upper A-Arm bushings, can I replace the uppers with
> polyurethane if the rest are rubber?

Sure, although I believe the stock lower bushings are nylon, not rubber.  Only
the early TR2 had rubber lowers.

>  Also, am I being foolish not to
> replace all of the front end bushings at this time?

IMO, no.  The upper bushings are a lot easier to get to than the lower ones, and
at least in my experience, the rubber "goes away" much faster than the nylon
does (which is why I converted to Nylatron).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org