Re: [TR] Suspension and steering work to be done

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Suspension and steering work to be done
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:19:53 EDT
In a message dated 8/19/2006 5:02:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jimhearn1@comcast.net writes:

Hi, I  have had my TR6 a few weeks now and need some front end bushings
(upper)  and tie rod ends.  Also, I can feel the road bumps too much in
the  rear end.  I checked and the rear dampeners are full.  For the  hard
bumps, I understand that the next likely candidate is the  springs
although my brother suggested that some tires on their own can give  a
very hard ride.  My tires are Uniroyal Tiger Paws with less than  half
tread left.  I had thought to put on my car what Moss calls  competition
normal height springs (25% stronger) all the way around and  polyurethane
bushings on the trailing arms.  Besides running the above  by you folks
for any ideas or corrections, I do have some direct  questions.  If I
only need upper A-Arm bushings, can I replace the  uppers with
polyurethane if the rest are rubber?  Also, am I being  foolish not to
replace all of the front end bushings at this time?  I  am trying to get
some driving in as soon as possible!

For the tie  rod ends figuring some labor saved, I am going to a new
quick ration unit  with the alloy mounts.  For clarification, I don't
mind spending money  where it counts; I just don't want to spend too much
money on the entire  project.  Thanks for any help.  Jim

Jim,
Here is what is certainly a minority view: I have a friend who  worked at the
Triumph factory in the 60s. He commented one day about  road testing they had
been doing. Drive the car, replace bushings with slightly  harder bushings.
Drive the car, change bushings etc. His point was the factory  went to a lot of
trouble to get exactly the correct  hardness bushings.
Now, fast forward to today. I have two E Type jags I have restored, a 63  and
a 64.  The cars are virtually identical.
The 63 I restored for myself is dead stock, including OEM rubber bushings,
standard springs, Koni shocks, factory spec skinny tires. It drives like a
dream. It is smooth and silent.
The 64 I restored for someone else has uprated springs all around and
stiffer poly bushings. It has Pirelli tires which are I size wider than stock.
think it drives like a pig. You have to drive the car as though it were a
truck.
 In my 63, you are a part of.
People who sell parst like to sell the boy racer stuff because its more
profitable. I personally prefer stock specifications.
Good luck!
Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org