RE: [TR] TR3's limited steering

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3's limited steering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:19:55 -0700
> But there ends the pretty picture- today on the driveway, where rubber
> literally hits the road, it was only 1 = turns lock-to-lock of
> the steering
> wheel.  My protractor said the the tires could only turn 25 degrees to the
> left and 15 degrees to the right.  WHATS UP WITH THAT!

Paul, given that you have been messing with the fan, which is in close
proximity to the center link of the steering; and that the center link moves
forward and back (as well as side-to-side) as you turn the wheel ... that is
the area I would check first.  Basically do an "eyeball" check that no part
of the steering linkage touches *anything* that it shouldn't, not so much as
a dangling wire, as you turn the wheel from one extreme to the other.  Don't
forget to include the coupling in the steering column in this check as well.

> I started to take the lid off the steering box and oops, brown
> 90w started oozing out, why brown I wondered?

Good call !  Oozing out is normal, the fill level should be above that
plate, but since you've had the box apart, there should be only brand new
gear oil in there.  The brown suggests to me that some foreign substance
found it's way in ... even if that is not the cause of your limited
steering, I would want to identify that substance and be sure it will not
cause problems in the future.

>             Now the brakes: Im hoping I can stop the hemoraging left
> caliper from leaking brake fluid by using a tapered bolt instead of the
> bleedscrew that dosent quite fit as this one screw was bought at a junk
> yard and bottoms-out.  I think tapering the right size bolt will stop it
> from leaking.  Any BTDT accounts?

Paul, if you drive this car, your life literally depends on that bolt
working properly !  I would not risk any substitute here.  Proper bleed
screws are only a few dollars new, just buy a new one and be done with it !

TRF P/N GI64470445  $3.25
Moss P/N 582-050        $2.95

If the new bleed screw doesn't fit (indicating the caliper is damaged) then
I would suggest a replacement caliper.  Used originals are readily
available, and usually quite cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110022327596

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org