[TR] TR3's limited steering

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3's limited steering
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:03:41 -0400
My problems seem to run in twos and today its the brakes and steering.
And for those reasons, I didnt lower my TR3 to the ground; although I did
get it running, sounded great!

            Ill start with the steering: everything looks fine, everything
connected and it turns while raised off the ground quite easily.  No real
chance for any rods or stuff to be out-of-place, besides I have the workshop
manual, Moss catalog and Yall.  The front tires are 165s and dont touch
anything either.  I rebuilt the steering box and all seemed to go in place
(those parts coming out is another story).  The steering peg and arm seemed
to go its full run and 2 < turns lock-to-lock were achieved at some point!
But there ends the pretty picture- today on the driveway, where rubber
literally hits the road, it was only 1 = turns lock-to-lock of the steering
wheel.  My protractor said the the tires could only turn 25 degrees to the
left and 15 degrees to the right.  WHATS UP WITH THAT!

            I raised the front end of the ground again and still had limited
steering.  I started to take the lid off the steering box and oops, brown
90w started oozing out, why brown I wondered?  I shut the lid to write
yall instead.  Can someone please help me expand things?  (browns ok but
the 1 = is NOT!)

            Now the brakes: Im hoping I can stop the hemoraging left
caliper from leaking brake fluid by using a tapered bolt instead of the
bleedscrew that dosent quite fit as this one screw was bought at a junk
yard and bottoms-out.  I think tapering the right size bolt will stop it
from leaking.  Any BTDT accounts?

Still tweaking

Thanks, Paul Dorsey

60 TR3A