[TR] Fuel Gauge

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Fuel Gauge
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:43:02 -0400
I had a problem with the TR4 fuel and electric temp gauges installed in my
TR3A.  Both pegged when I applied power from the voltage stabilizer.  I
changed the voltage stabilizer, fussed around with the temp gauge, and voila!
I'm running at abougt 185 degrees, and darn glad to finally know it on my
newly rebuilt engine!

The fuel gauge continued to peg. I swapped wires at the back of the gauge, and
got about three quarters of a tank.  Oddly, as I ran the car and used gas, the
gauge wound up pegged with about 5 gallons in the tank.  Tonight I filled the
tank, and darned if the gauge didn't settle in at between half a tank and
empty.  When I got home, I swapped out the wires at the sending unit, putting
the ground wire I'd fabricated on the insulated post, and the green/black wire
on the narrow, non-insulated post, which caused the gauge to peg again, as it
actually should because now the gas tank is full.

I'll run it through the end of the week to see if at least the needle moves
toward empty this time, and not toward full.

Any ideas?

Terry Smith, '59 TRA  (Man, I love a car you can drive instead of just look at
and sweat over!)
New Hampshire, heading to Stowe and my first LBA thing!

===     http://www.vtr.org