Re: [TR] Fuel Gauge

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Fuel Gauge
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:06:29 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/2006 6:47:31 PM Central Standard Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:
> The fuel gauge continued to peg. I swapped wires at the back of the gauge,
> and
> got about three quarters of a tank.  Oddly, as I ran the car and used gas,
> the
> gauge wound up pegged with about 5 gallons in the tank.  Tonight I filled
> the
> tank, and darned if the gauge didn't settle in at between half a tank and
> empty.  When I got home, I swapped out the wires at the sending unit,
> putting
> the ground wire I'd fabricated on the insulated post, and the green/black
> wire
> on the narrow, non-insulated post, which caused the gauge to peg again, as
> it
> actually should because now the gas tank is full.
>
> I'll run it through the end of the week to see if at least the needle moves
> toward empty this time, and not toward full.

I think you will find that the more you drive it the fuller the tank gets.
These cars were renowned for their fuel economy.

Seriously, if you plan on using a TR4 fuel gauge you will have to use a TR4
fuel sending unit.  The TR3 gauges and sending units work in the opposite
manner from the later TR4-6 units.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org