RE: [TR] Flywheels Stock vs. Steel vs. Alloy

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Flywheels Stock vs. Steel vs. Alloy
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:24:42 -0700
> (There is one person's
> hazy memory out there, that related a management decision was
> made to install 31#
> flywheels so that a TR would pull smoothly in second gear from
> 20MPH.

Which points out what may be a downside to some people ... running a
lightweight flywheel does make the engine a lot rougher under power at very
low rpm, making the car at least somewhat harder to launch from a stop.
It's still not particularly difficult, but you can no longer just take your
foot off the clutch and know it won't stall.

In perhaps 15 years of driving my TR3A to work in traffic almost every day,
I killed the engine maybe twice with the stock 30+ pound flywheel.  After
installing a 14# aluminum, I killed it probably 6 times in the next month.
Now you're free to think that's my poor driving skills ... perhaps it is.
But I've driven manual transmissions all my life, and I've never had one
that was quite as hard to launch smoothly at low rpm as my TR3A was after
installing an aluminum flywheel.

Still, like Joe says, the transformation is amazing ... my next TR3 will
definitely have a lightened flywheel.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org