RE: [TR] TR3A Overdrive Problem

To: "Joe Wilson" <jawilson40@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A Overdrive Problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 16:33:46 -0700
> The problem is that when the overdrive switch is
> turned off, the lever stays in the up position.  The valve control lever is
> adjusted properly and there is no voltage at the solenoid with the switch
> off (i.e.; the switch is operating properly).  I don't see a return spring
> of any kind in the parts book which would bring the lever back down.  If I
> depress the lever  with my finger it returns fairly easily.  All of this is
> occurring in the garage with the car stationary and the engine off and the
> transmission in second gear.  What am I missing?

The spring above the ball in the operating valve (#21 in the attached drawing)
should push the lever back at least partway.  If there is no return action at
all, and the valve is correctly assembled, then I would check your lever
adjustment by measuring the ball lift.  It's not unusual for the internal parts
to wear until the "adjustment lever" hole is no longer accurate.  Opinions vary
as to how much ball movement you should see ... IMO it should be at least 1/32"
(.016" or 0.8mm) for reliable operation.  Supposedly the Healey shop manual
specifies 1/32" to 1/16", which sounds good to me.

Past the point where the ball rests on it's seat, only hydraulic pressure and
the weight of the solenoid plunger force the lever down.  Usually that's enough,
but a newly assembled unit might be a little stiff ... as long as it moves
enough to seat the ball and allow the pull-in contacts in the solenoid to close,
I don't think you'll have a problem.  But if it doesn't move that far, I would
definitely find and correct the problem ... having the OD remain on can cause
severe damage in reverse.

Randall

OPERATING VALVE EXPLODED.JPG]

===     http://www.vtr.org