Re: [TR] I believe carburetor issues

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] I believe carburetor issues
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:04:15 -0800
Be advised that carb problems and ignition system problems have a LOT of
symptom overlap and that ignition tune up parts available today are very
much inferior to what was available when point ignition systems were the
industry norm.

When I get what I believe to be carb issue that is not obviously
apparent, such as fuel leak or linkage falling off, I check the rotor,
cap and points early on.  A lot of time my "carb" problem is slipped
points and these days bad rotor.

When I get what I believe to be ignition system I also check the fuel
filter, sediment bowl and fuel pressure.

An engine that is reluctant to return to a certain idle level can be
something like carb linkage, slipped or uncentered needle, crud in the
carb, or it could be something like  a sticky advance that is not
returning the advance back to zero, weak or broken advance springs what
start the mechanical advance at lower RPM.  A poor idle could be any
number of ignition problems, including bad distributor bushings (side to
side shaft wobble), a high voltage short, poor plug centre wire or any
of the tune up components.

What I am suggesting is don't spend a whole lot of time trouble shooting
one system without at least running basic tests on the other.

I did that once.  Sent a pair of carbs off to The roadster Factory for a
complete rebuild and later discovered that my distributor's advance was
sticky.

TeriAnn

===     http://www.vtr.org