RE: [TR] Overdrive chatters

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Overdrive chatters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:20:54 -0800
> I'm moving and need to get the TR overdrive
> working pronto. When the overdrive lever
> is thrown, the overdrive seems to alternate between
> engaged and disengaged at a fairly high clip, I'd
> say 10 Hz. I't happens in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th so it's
> probably not the tranny switches. The only item left
> is the solenoid. My manual is already packed. What
> setup is required on the solenoid?

That's usually a symptom that the solenoid is bad.

There are two coils inside the solenoid, a pull-in coil and a holding coil.  The
pull-in coil actually moves the plunger, but once the plunger has moved, a
contact opens and leaves only the holding coil to hold the plunger up.  Sounds
like your holding coil has a broken wire, so once the pull-in coil disengages,
the plunger falls back down and the pull-in coil activates again.

There is some chance you can repair it, by removing it from the car and
carefully separating the cover on the end.  If the broken wire is visible,
solder a jumper between the two broken ends and wrap it with electrical tape.
But it's probably best to just replace the whole thing.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org