Re: [TR] Overdrive chatters

To: David Brady <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive chatters
From: jar@aldermanroad.net
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:41:06 -0500
You may need a new solinoid.

The solinoid is constructed with two circuits:  the activation
(primary)  and the holding (secondary) circuits.  When the solinoid is
activated, both the primary and secondary windings are activated.  This
primary winding is heavy gauge wire, and carries a high amperage, about
10 amps as I recollect, but don't hold me to that.  This high current is
the reason for the use of the relay in the activation circuit.  This
provides a very powerful magnetic field so the operating lever is really
snatched.  This is the very strong "snap" that is heard.

When the solinoid reachs the top of its bore, it pushes a little plunger
at the top that pushes a bronze finger that carries the current to the
primary.  This finger is shoved such that the circuit to the primary is
broken so that only the secondary (holding) circuit remains activated.
The magnetic field is strong enough to keep the lever lifted, but the
current is much smaller.  Thus the total current through the solinoid is
now about 1 amp. (don't hold me to that number.)

What is likely going on is that the primary circuit is functioning, but
the secondary is not. This results in the whole thing operating like a
door bell: it breaks the primary circuit so the lever drops back to the
off position, which allows the primary circuit to be activated, which
lifts the plunger, which breaks the primary...you get the idea.  No
secondary circuit to hold it in the on position.

 This may be from nothing but the secondary wire is loose at the top of
the unit, or it may have burnt inside the unit.  If at the top, you can
use a needle point solder gun to fix it.  If inside, the whole unit is
toast.

Cheers.