RE: [TR] Driving lights

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Driving lights
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:03:40 -0800
> I recently purchased a set of aftermarket driving lights for my Honda. Even
> though the bulb wattage is the same as my classic Lucas halogen
> driving lights
>  that are mounted on my GT6+ the new lights do not illuminate the road like
> the  the Lucas lamps do. The Lucas driving lights thow a beam that is
> at least
> twice  as bright as my high beams twice as far. I also have a set of CIBIE's
> that  perform like the Lucas lamps. What gives?

There's a lot more to light effectiveness than rated wattage.

My first question would be if the underperforming lights are, in fact, halogens.
Tungsten incandescents don't put out as much light, because their filaments run
cooler.

Then, are they getting full voltage ?

You might check actual current draw, but after that, I would guess that the
reflector/lens design is inferior, or perhaps the filaments are not aligned with
the reflector.  Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that, except buy
different lamps.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org