Re: [TR] Driving lights

To: Windoseat@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Driving lights
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:59:42 EST
In a message dated 12/16/2006 5:58:25 PM Central Standard Time,
Windoseat@aol.com writes:
> I recently purchased a set of aftermarket driving lights for my Honda. Even
>
> though the bulb wattage is the same as my classic Lucas halogen driving
> lights
> that are mounted on my GT6+ the new lights do not illuminate the road like
> the  the Lucas lamps do. The Lucas driving lights thow a beam that is at
> least
> twice  as bright as my high beams twice as far. I also have a set of CIBIE's
>
> that  perform like the Lucas lamps. What gives?

Where were these aftermarket lights made?  How much did you pay for them?
There is a lot more to lighting the road than just bulb wattage.  The light
must
be aimed.  This requires a precision reflector and precision positioning of
the filament in the reflector.  I once bought a pair of lamps from J. C.
Whitney.  They were cheap.  They were made in China.  Even with 100W bulbs they
performed more poorly than a pair of $10, 50W sealed beam halogens from the
local
hardware store.

This might be your problem.

Dave