Re: [TR] RE: Thinking of Getting a Modern Car

To: thecrowes@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] RE: Thinking of Getting a Modern Car
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:26:42 EST
In a message dated 12/15/2006 7:41:29 PM Central Standard Time,
thecrowes@hotmail.com writes:
> I'm not sure what I would get, but I have spent some time with two
> German-only mechanics, and both of them talk about the high cost of
> maintenence on both BMW and Mercedes cars, especially the fancy ones.  One
> in particular comment on the Boxster as being one of the worst.  Of course,
> don't even think of the V12 engines and other exotics........

A friend had an 8 series BMW and was on a first name basis with the service
writer at the dealer.

But it could be worse.  A local machine shop had a Ferrari boxer engine in
for repair.  They couldn't pull the heads.  The clearance between the steel
studs and the aluminum head was very tight and a little bit of corrosion locks
them in place (any TR7 or Stag owners out there?)  To make matters worse there
is
no direct acceess to the studs (or nuts) because they are shrouded by the cam
follower buckets.  They called a Ferrari dealer who said they usually put in
a new factory engine.  And they run $70,000.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org