[TR] RE: wheel bearing question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] RE: wheel bearing question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:32:00 -0500

and Randall wrote:

> If it was a bad bearing, you would find roughly equal play
> in both axes.

and several other people wrote responses.  Thank you all.

W.r.t. the equal play in both axes, I would agree except that with a
tie rod attached the wheel cannot wobble side to side unless the
bearing has end float, i.e. can move in and out along the axle.  In
other words, the tie rod essentially stops it from wobbling on a
vertical axis.

I've already done the touchy-feely test while wobbling the wheel with
it both on the ground and jacked up.  So I'm pretty sure it is not in
the trunnion nor in the ball joint; it is between the wheel and the
hub carrier.  Which is why I concluded that it was the bearing.  (Yes
the lug nuts were tight!)  I will keep it under observation for now
and re-consider, and re-consdier, and re-consider (until I can no
longer spell).

Thanks again.

--
Jim Muller