[TR] re :Armstrong shocks rebuilt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] re :Armstrong shocks rebuilt
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:03:03 EST
Corey,
The correct amount of shock oil for TR4 is enough to spill out the 'filler
bolt' on high side of unit when insitu. If you don't have a filler plug (casing
not drilled, tapped and plugged at one of the casting sites), fill your unit
about 1/4" from top edge (with lid removed).
I took the valves out of my TR4 shocks and simply tightened the round valve
nut a quarter turn to take up what I considered 1-2 thousandths wear on the
spring-loaded seats, reassembled and works fine (actually I'm hoping slightly
firmer).
You might have got things out of order? When you say 'disassemble', how far?
If TRF oil doesn't work your old oil probably wouldn't work either. Unless TRF
oil is REALLY thick..
There is a good site regarding these shocks on the vtr site somewhere..
Attached below more info too:
Good luck, Carl '63 TR4 since '74
Subj:   armstrong gaskets