RE: [TR] Packing an oil pump

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net"
Subject: RE: [TR] Packing an oil pump
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:09:41 -0800
>    I've heard it helps to pack the oil pump with vaseline after a
> rebuild to hasten the build up of oil pressure.  What exactly does that
> mean?  Pack the screen and extension, or remove the pump and pack the
> body?

Disassemble the pump, and pack the gears.  The idea being that it will pump
Vaseline faster than air, so you'll get oil pressure faster.  Personally, I'm
not convinced it's a good idea, but YMMV.  As long as you've used plenty of
assembly lube, the few extra seconds it takes to build pressure with the plugs
out isn't going to make any difference.

>   A second question, the rod bearing clearance measures .0015",
> which I know is within the tolerance range.  The main bearing clearance
> measures .00175, but bentley doesn't even mention checking this.  Is
> that within range, or does it really matter?

It does matter, but that is within range.  Also be sure to check that you can
turn the crank by hand after the main caps are torqued up (as the book
mentions).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org