[TR] Re: Triumpth Stag question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, als6point9@gmail.com
Subject: [TR] Re: Triumpth Stag question
From: John Dombey <jdombey@infoscapecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:55:19 -0800
Al,

I had a '71 Stag for a number of years (as a driver while I restored my
TR6 - don't ask!)  There are a couple of US-based places for parts -
Rovers West/EightParts in Tucson is the one that comes to mind - ISTR
one in New Jersey too.  Parts on-shore were pretty scarce (this would
have been between 3 and 7 years ago now - I wouldn't guess that it's
gotten much better since then) and tended to be spendy.  The best
selection I found was from Rimmer Brothers in the UK - great online
catalog, great selection of parts, great service and in general it was
as cheap or cheaper to have stuff shipped from there than to buy onshore
(kind of sad that - I like to support local places).  There is also Hart
Racing Services, also in the UK - Tony Hart races Stags very
successfully and has a good range of upgraded bits available to address
the cars inherent design shortcomings (and is a nice guy to boot).

Before you buy, you might check out the buyers guide on the Stag Club
USA site -

 http://www.triumphstagclubusa.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=8

Also, bear in mind that an iron-block chevy V8 is going to weigh as
least 100 pounds more than the Stag V8 so handling & ride may be
adversely affected.  I've seen this conversion (and it looked great!),
but never driven or ridden in one, and have no idea if the suspension
was modified.  I'd also be worried about the differential being able to
stand up to a 327 - they're not terribly robust.

On the other hand, it's an adventure! And if it's done right, the end
result would be a _nice_ car to have.

Just my $.02

John
'69 TR6