[TR] '74 TR6 Starting woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] '74 TR6 Starting woes
From: mrv8q@aim.com
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:20:58 -0500
Hello, listers, I posted this on another web site as well, for the
brains here to ruminate upon:

I've spent all weekend trying to get my new-to-me '6 to start. Here'a a
brief synopsis:
The car has started in the past. Sometimes it would start easily,
sometimes jiggling the key would be needed. The back of the ignition
switch was physically separating; one of the three metal tangs had
disintegrated, so I ordered the electrical part of the switch from
Moss, TRF was out. Relatively new battery, charged and connections
cleaned.

Further investigation revealed a burnt white-pink wire in the car side
of the electrical switch, all through the wiring loom, and dead ending
by where the radio would have been. This is the power wire for the
radio. I couldn't see much more damage to the wiring, except for that
wire; I carefully removed the plastic wrap from around the loom,
cleared as much of the burnt wiring as I could, and didn't hook up
anything to that position in the ignition switch connector.

Needless to say, the car won't start... all I get is the red ignition
light on. Blowing up Dan Master's nice color PDF wiring diagram,
(11x17, $6.50 at Kinkos!), I checked solenoid wiring, coil wiring, etc.
and I have continuity.

I next began to suspect the switch itself, again. Page 559 of the
Bentley shows electrical connections when the key is in it's various
positions. On the key position III, I can't get continuity from 2-1, or
3-1, on the back of the electrical switch, in those positions.

So, what's next? Do I have a bad electrical part from Moss? Could the
mechanical part of the switch be bad? ( I don't see how). Of course,
the unknown wiring problems don't help any; has any other wire been
burned/broken I don't know about. Is there a wiring work around I can
do just to start the car... (I haven't tackled carbueration, changing
hoses, rebuilding fuel filter, etc. yet. ) Would Dan Master's
Electrical Bible help me any here, and, if need be, how horrible is
putting in a new wiring harness... Thanks for any and all suggestions,
I'm thoroughly disgusted right now....

Since then, 2 suggestions have been the Seat Belt Module, (where and
what is that?; I see it on the wiring diagram, not the car), and/or the
Starter relay, which another '6 owner has replaced w/ a headlight
relay. Thought, suggestions.....
Best, Kevin Browne
'59 TR3A #TS58370L
'74 TR6#CF22446U