Re: [TR] TR6 throw out bearing squeal

To: Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 throw out bearing squeal
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:04:20 EST
I will almost guarantee that when you pull the tranny you will find that  the
dowel pins were not replaced when the tranny was replaced.  I got the  squeal
and that's what I found.  There is no way you can line up the  tranny
properly without those dowel pins, elongated holes or not.  I took  my mic and
went
to the hardware store and went through the bin of round rod  until I found one
that was .375" and round.  You only need less than 3" or  so of it.  I cut two
dowel pins and chamfered the edges and then tested the  fit in the holes and
got a good snug but not tight fit.  In went the  tranny.  Use new lock washers
and a torque wrench.  It solved the  problem nicely for me.  Do not just go
buy 3/8 rod.  I had to look at  a lot to get one that was 3/8 and round for 3 -
4".
The bell housing on a TR6 is integral with the tranny case.  There may  be
someone who knows better than I, but I think if you replace the pilot and use
dowel pins you will be OK with what you have.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO

===     http://www.vtr.org