Re: [TR] 3M double stick trim tape details

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>, <jimmuller@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] 3M double stick trim tape details
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:17:28 -0500
> The Trim tape is what most of the auto manufacturers use today for
> attaching
> things to bodies.  Once you get it on, it is there to stay.
>
> That is what it was designed for.  I am not talking about the double stick
> tape you buy at the local five and ten cent store, but the stuff sold at
> auto body supply shops.

Scions,
    As an ex-3M salesman, I'll attempt to fill you in.......

    The product you are referring to is called VHB tape. (V ery H igh B
ond). It is a double sided tape with a (usually) foam filler. It has an
acrylic adhesive that needs 24 hours to "wet out" before it is fully cured.
When cured, it bonds like grim-death providing the surface prep was done
well. It can be removed by splitting the foam tape then using a 3M eraser
wheel to remove the acrylic adhesive residue. This eraser wheel is used for
removing pin striping as well.
     Most new box trucks, enclosed trailers and 40' long haul trailers are
now bonded with VHB tape ILO rivets. The tape allows some give in shear and
holds up better (and gives a cleaner look) than rivets. Rivets tend to
loosen due to the drilled holes elongating with time and vibrations.
    VHB is available in many thicknesses and bond strength. If your local
parts supplier deals with autobody supplies, chances are high that they have
a 3M automotive catalog that you could find the various part numbers for a
specific tape and application. Surface prep is best done with isopropyl
alcohol and let dry, then bond the tape. A high unit pressure on the tape
will help (a plastic scraper on edge to push on the tape). This will aid in
the initial bond. 24 hours of cure time at room temp allows for a complete
bond.

Hope this helps..................
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6