[TR] Zinc oil additives, one more question

To: kinderlehrer@comcast.net
Subject: [TR] Zinc oil additives, one more question
From: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:12:17 -0500
Bob wrote:
> snip...Is the ZDDT (?) additive in the oil to protect
>solid lifter engines an issue only when the engine is
>newly rebuilt, or is this on on going concern?

  First I think it's ZDDP (the P is for Phosphorous)and there
has been a LOT of discussion over on the MG lists about this.
Lots of talk of early crankshaft failures, etc. due to the new
oil formulations.  Some re-builders are now suggesting the use
of oils with ZDDP (such as racing oils and diesel oil)for all
"flat tappet" engines, not just after a re-build.
   Is there anybody on these lists with a background in the
petroleum industry (or is there a website somewhere) that spells
out, for the commomn LBC owner, the pluses and minuses of ZDDP
additives for both re-built engines and ongoing use or is there
not yet enough empirical evidence of long term damage?
   Inquiring minds etc, etc.

Dennis Culligan / Highland, NY/ 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH

===     http://www.vtr.org