[TR] Zinc oil additives, one more question

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Zinc oil additives, one more question
From: kinderlehrer@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:56:07 +0000
Just 1 quick question as I prepare to change the oil this weekend-  Is the ZDDT
(?) additive in the oil to protect solid lifter engines an issue only when the
engine is newly rebuilt, or is this on on going concern?   I was told that
after some period of time of using the proper oil, the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces fill in and a more or less permanant film is
built up that protects the parts that rub together.  I guess I'm wondering if
after 60,000 miles I should still use the Shell rotella or if it doesn't matter
any more.

TIA,
Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org